Health is one of the areas of life that concerns humans the most, and we’re not just talking about its impact on a person’s overall well-being, but also the economic aspect.
It’s possible that many individuals do not regularly visit a doctor for health check-ups and only seek medical attention in emergencies. However, with the long waiting lists and issues often found in public healthcare, an increasing number of people are opting to purchase private health insurance. But is it really worth it to have health insurance?
Firstly, we need to clarify what health insurance entails. It is a policy you purchase to have access to healthcare services, ranging from basic coverage for primary care to more comprehensive plans that include consultations and surgeries. There are two main categories: plans with copayment and plans without copayment. With copayment plans, the premium is typically lower, but you will need to pay a fee each time you use a service, unlike plans without copayment.
One of the most important factors to consider when purchasing health insurance is the essential coverage it should provide. Areas such as obstetrics, childbirth, hospitalization, and surgical procedures are ideal aspects that should be included in the insurance plan.
Key advantages of having health insurance
“It’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.” There is no truer statement than this, as they say we only remember health insurance when we need it, but the truth is, we don’t really know when it can come to our aid and prevent significant debts.
Some of the advantages of having health insurance are:
- Freedom of choice: You have the option to choose which specialty you want to visit, which healthcare professional you want to treat you, and where. All of this without the need to wait for long hours and with a more personalized process.
- Access to more resources: With insurance, it is easier to request specific tests and treatments that are often limited in public healthcare. Additionally, without waiting lists, these tests are usually performed more quickly.
- Coverage wherever you go: If you have insurance at a national level, you can enjoy its benefits anywhere in the country. If it includes international coverage, it’s a great choice to enjoy your vacations with peace of mind.
- Comfortable hospitalization: In case you require hospitalization, health insurance ensures your comfort during your stay, often providing a private room.
- Additional services: Many health insurance companies offer extra services such as telephone consultations, second opinions, medication services, and transportation.
- Financial peace of mind: One of the most significant advantages of health insurance is the financial peace of mind it provides. With good financial planning, you can organize the payment of your health insurance, which, although it can be high at times, can never compare to what you would have to spend on hospitalization without insurance.
Purchasing health insurance has significant benefits and is an option to consider for your healthcare needs. While coverage may be limited by specific conditions, there are multiple options available to choose from.
It’s crucial to assess which plan best suits your budget and needs, offering the best value for the price. It’s an important decision, so we recommend analyzing all the options in the market and seeking advice from experts who not only aim to take your money but also provide tangible benefits from the service you are paying for.
Undoubtedly, having insurance provides peace of mind, but it’s important to choose options that genuinely offer benefits.